Sometimes knowing what to say when can be the key to vastly improved customer service. If you or your team are under pressure, it can be difficult for the words to flow – which is why we've created this quick reference to give you examples of the scripts to say to customers.
What to say when…
- First off, stop whatever you are doing and give your full attention…
- "Hello" (and SMILE!)
- "Good morning / afternoon / evening"
- "Hi! How are you today?"
- "Hey Peter, good to see you / speak to you…"
- "Hi Mary, how have you been?"
- "What brought you in here today?"
- "Have you been here / used us before?" Then either "Welcome back, I can show you some new …." or "Well, welcome! Let me show you around / explain how we work"
- "What can I do for you today?"
- "Have you tried our new [product/service] yet?"
- "Are you looking for [ProductA] or [ProductB] today?
- Say something outlandish or ask a quirky question to get their attention. Eg. "Did you realise there are 22 ingredients in this cake? I was just talking to our head baker. Amazing huh?"
- Or, default to the weather… "How are you surviving this heat/cold/rain/wind?"
- Offer a (genuine) compliment… "That is an amazing scarf you've got on, and it goes perfectly with your jacket." (Ensure your compliments are appropriate though!)
|Dealing with a Customer Request
- "Certainly! I can help with that"
- "I'll keep you updated"
- "I'm not sure, but I'll find out"
- "That is a good question, let me find out for you"
- "Of course, that's what we're here for"
- "OK sure – let me check I've got everything"
|Asking for a Review
- "How was everything for you today?" If good…
- "That's great to hear! We aim to please. Actually, our business relies on word-of-mouth, and I'm wondering if you'd be so kind as to submit a quick review about your experience?"
- "We're trying to provide the best service possible and get the word out about our business. Would you be able to do us a big favour and post a review of us on WOMO? These reviews give us great feedback, help motivate our team, and let others know about what we do and how we operate."
- "Your experience matters to us and to other customers, so we'd really apprecate it if you could take a few moments to review your experience."
- "Do you read online reviews? More and more people do these days – which is why we'd love it if you could review your experience with us online."
|Dealing with a Customer Complaint
- "I'm so sorry – let me look into it for you"
- Confirm your understanding; "So, as I understand it, you called on Wednesday and ordered the sample, followed up on Monday, and still nothing has arrived. Is that correct?"
- "Of course, you must have been disappointed"
- "I understand how frustrating this must be"
- "I'm not sure how it's happened, but don't worry, we'll figure out something together"
- "What would you consider to be a fair and reasonable solution?"
- "Here's what I suggest… how does that sound?"
- "Is there anything else I can help you with today?"
- "Thank you so much for your business"
- "Great to see you / talk to you again"
- "Have an awesome day"
- "I'm sure you'll love that (new purchase). If you have any trouble at all, just give us a call."
- "I really appreciate your business"
- "Let me give you a hand with that"
- "It's been a real pleasure having you here / helping you!"
>> Download the Printable Cheat Sheet Now! <<
Obviously there's more to customer service than a 2-page checklist, but this can sure get you started! Print it out and have it handy when you or your team are talking to customers.