But wherever you reside, you must take measures to secure your home. Doing so provides you with peace of mind knowing that your family and your belongings are safe.
That said, here are ten crucial home security tips that you need to know:
Reinforce Your Doors
A door is one of the essential aspects of a house. Thus, it also plays a significant role in securing your home.
Luckily, there are various ways you can reinforce your doors:
● Choose the Right Materials: The material you use for your doors plays an integral role in securing your home. You need a door with a solid core, so it can be challenging to break it down by force.
● Strengthen the Door Jamb and Frame: The door jamb and frame carry the weight of the door and holds it in place. This means that a well-placed jamb prevents the door from falling after a strong kick.
● Use the Right Locks: Your door might be made of the most robust material known to man. But if the lock is sub-par, it is easy to bypass it.
● Upgrade Your Strike Plate: A strike plate strengthens your door. Therefore, it adds resistance to intruders.
● Secure the Hinges: The hinges are what connect the door to the jamb. You can strengthen the hinges by using safety studs, corrugated pins, or set screws.
Make Your Window Burglar-Proof
Aside from the door, the windows are a common access point for burglars.
And while glass windows are easy to shatter, you can still make it burglar-proof without denying yourself of natural light.
● Use Good-quality Window Locks: It is common to let the windows open to let fresh air in during Spring. Nonetheless, it would be best to lock your windows (when no one is in the room) and use top-quality locks when you close them.
● Use a Window Film: You can install a window film inside your windows to regulate internal temperature and prevent shattering. Thus, burglars will make an awful lot of noise before being able to break your windows.
● Install Window Bars: This may sound old school, but a window bar can be an excellent burglary deterrent. And it lets you open your window to let the sunlight and fresh air in without compromising security.
● Install Window Alarms: Depending on window alarms you use, some notify you when someone opens or break the window. There are alarms with a motion detector, so you will know when someone’s scouting your house.
Secure Your Belongings
It is inevitable to talk about your belongings when it comes to home security. This includes your cash, car, jewellery, artwork, and even appliances.
But securing your belongings does not necessarily mean that you should lock them away. It is all about being creative. Besides, what’s the use of owning a portrait of Caravaggio if you cannot stare at it for hours?
You can stash your cash and jewellery in a safe, especially when you are expecting visitors or hosting house parties. But if you have a vast amount, it would be best to keep them in a bank.
You can also buy jewellery insurance, which covers accidental damage, loss, or theft.
Install a Home Alarm System
Contrary to popular belief, burglary usually happens between 6 AM and 6 PM. Burglars would prefer to ransack an empty house, that’s why they would opt to break in when the homeowners are at school or office.
Luckily, you can now monitor your home even while you are away.
Since we now live in a hyper-connected and digital world, you can find a home alarm system with remote surveillance rather useful.
At the Alarm System Store, we usually recommend this kind of home alarm system for people who travel a lot. You can also install a home alarm system that automatically informs the police of break-ins.
Regardless, we cannot deny that remote monitoring eases our qualms when it comes to home security.
Place Security Cameras Strategically
In addition to installing a home alarm system, it would be best to have security cameras in your house.
But whether you seek the help of professionals or decide to install the cameras yourself, it is imperative to be strategic about it. And by “strategic,” we mean knowing what kind of security cameras you will need and where to place them.
Where you should place your security cameras will depend on the layout of your house. But the rule of thumb is to focus on specific areas of interest.
It can be your front door, for instance. That way, you will know who comes in and out of your house.
Ideally, you will need at least one camera each for your front door and back door. The same thing goes with your windows that have ground access, your garage, and the gate.
Another thing to keep in mind is to install your security cameras at a downward angle. Doing so allows accurate motion detection.
Enjoying the Rewards of Home Security
Nothing beats the peace of mind, knowing that your home and your belongings are secured. Moreso, now that you can monitor your home wherever you are.
When you invest in the right and top-quality home security systems, you are ensuring your house’s security and the safety of your loved ones.
Hence, you can say goodbye to those uneasy feelings and focus on the essential things in life.